Latest update by the Ministry of Finance on VAT implementation in UAE
Phone:- +971 4 327 7775
Mobile:- +971 50 677 5860
WhatsApp:- +971 56 219 1607
Ministry of Finance has initiated a series of VAT workshops and key points from the first session conducted are as follows:
The effective date is 1st January 2018 as:-
- Anticipated. 5% is the standard rate
- Confirmed by the ministry. Established
- “Federal Tax Authority” and two tax laws
- Tax Procedure Law (for Governance)
- VAT Law (For Application)
- A Blanket treaty for GCC Countries Known as “GCC VAT Treaty/Agreement”
- Turnover Registration threshold
- Mandatory AED 375,000/- and above.
- Voluntary AED 187,500/- to AED 375,000/-
- Not allowed for Less than AED 187,500/-
- The VAT registration starts from Q3 of 2017.
- The VAT law is expected be released in 2 months’ time. The detailed regulations will be issued later in the year.
- The filing of returns and tax payment will be through the online portal. Most likely the return submission will be on a quarterly basis. The timeline to submit will be a month after the expiry of the period.
- VAT return format will include a summary of transactions during the period with the breakup of supplies in each of the 7 Emirates in UAE.
- VAT Invoices
- Rounded to the nearest fills
- Issued within 14 days
- Accounting records to be kept for 5 years
- Mention “TAX Invoice”
- Time of supply
- TRN of supplier
- Accounting of Invoices by Emirate wise in the system
- Applicability of VAT in free zones are yet to be clarified.
- Exemptions/Zero/Standard Rate supplier: (Subject to changes/guidelines)
- Health – 0%
- Education – 0%
- Financial Services – Exempted
- Export of goods and services-0%
- Real Estate
- New residential units – 0%
- Used residential units – Exempted
- Commercial Units – Standard rate
- Life insurance – Exempted
- Long term rental – Exempted
- Short term rental (Hotel Stay) – 0%
- Land – Exempted
- Government bodies
- Charity organizations
- International Event Hosting Bodies
- Fisherman and farmers
- VAT refund for tourist will most likely be not there considering the low rate of 5%.
- The system of ‘VAT Groups’ will be available in UAE where the companies under common control can file a single VAT return and make a single tax payment. This will be helpful in case of companies with several subsidiaries.
- Reconsiderations ( If errors are happened on filing)
- Appeals (3 Stage system)
Monthly Tax insights and updates – April 2023
The month of April brought a new wave of tax and compliance updates that businesses need to be vigilant about. From the news on GCC regions to updates in compliance regulations, HLB HAMT’s tax and compliance experts have got you...
Monthly Tax insights and updates – March 2023
The month of March saw many regulation changes that businesses need to be aware of. From the news on GCC regions to updates in compliance regulations, HLB HAMT’s tax and compliance experts have got you covered.
Get in touch
Whatever your question our team will point you in the right directionStart the conversation